National Defence and the Canadian Forces
A document from the above web site.
The encyclopedia of Saskatchewan
Books and Articles
"Up the Johns! The story of The Royal Regina Rifles." By Stewart A.G. Mein. Pages 76-77.
"The South Saskatchewan Regiment"
Milita Reorganization, 1920
With the disbanding of the Canadian Expeditionary Force in 1919, the federal government decided to reorganize the Canadian militia. A permanent force was to be organized together with a non-permanent militia. The reorganization began in 1920. By a general order dagted October 1, 1920, the province of Saskatchewan was divided into two militia regions, one centred in Regina, the other in Saskatoon. two infantry brigades were formed in the province, the 19th in Regina and the 21st in Saskatoon, along with the necessary cavalry, artillery, machine gun, army service, army medical, and engineer units.
Brigadier General Alex Ross, who had remained in the militia after the war, succeeded James Cross as commander of Military District 12, in Regina on September 1, 1919. Ross resigned this position in 1920 and on April 1, 1921, was given command of the 21st Infantry Brigade headquartered in Saskatoon. He also became vice-president of the Dominion Infantry Association and president of the provincial branch of the association in Saskatchewan.
Throughout 1919 and into 1920, the infantry militia unit in Regina continued to be the 95th Saskatchewan Rifles. Brigadier General Embury had remained its commanding officer as a militia lieutenant colonel throughout World War One. However, on March 15, 1920, the 95th Saskatchewan Rifles was amalgamated with the 60th Rifles of Canada from Moose Jaw, to form the South Saskatchewan Regiment. This new Regiment began to organize during the months of October and November of that year. The South Saskatchewan Regiment was gazetted as being allied with the King's Royal Rifle Corps.
The new Regiment was organized in the style of a pre-war infantry regiment consisting of eight battalions. On July 17, 1920, when Embury moved on to command the 19th Infantry Brigade, Lieutenant Colonel James Cross was appointed the commanding officer of the South Saskatchewan Regiment and also given command of the 1st Battalion. The regimental headquarters and the 1st Battalion were based in Regina, with the 2nd Battalion located in Moose Jaw under the command of Lieutenant Colonel S.J. Anderson. The 3rd Battalion, in Weyburn, was commanded by Lieutenant colonel F.J. Picking. The 4th Battalion was located in Whitewood, C Company in Manor, and D Company in Grenfell. The 5th Battalion, located in Estevan, was commanded by Lieutenant Colonel J.A. Smith. The 6th, 7th, and 8th Battalions were allocated to the reserve. On October 1, 1920, General Embury was appointed honourary colonel of the South Saskatchewan Regiment.
The March of the Prairie Men being the Story of the South Saskatchewan Regiment. By Lt. Col G.B. Buchanan.
The march of the prairie men. The history of the South Saskatchewan Regiment. Originally created By LT. Col. G.B. Buchanan, M.B.E.. Ottawa, 1956.
As a courtesy to the Buchanan family, if you desire a copy of this book for your family, please order a copy from a source like CEF Books rather than printing from this web site. The re-published book retails for $29.95 and can be purchased from CEF BOOKS AT firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-823-7000. See www.cefbooks.ca . ISBN 10: 1896979351 / 1-896979-35-1 . ISBN 13: 9781896979359. Publisher: CEF Books. Publication Date: 2009.
"History of the SSR" - Weyburn Review, 8May1985.
Compendium of canadian regiments. A civilian's perspective. By Michael Gregory.